Sunday, August 31, 2008

My Birthday Dinner

Technically, my birthday isn't until Tuesday (9/2)but Gregg took me out to celebrate tonight because I worked Friday night, and tomorrow (Monday) and then most likely Gregg will be working late on Tuesday, so tonight was the night. Plus, we were able to get a sitter, so it all worked out.
I told Gregg I wanted to go to someplace I had never been before and that I wanted him to pick the place. He close a great place in Ballard called Ray's Boathouse. Turns out, once I was in there I recognized the place, but couldn't put my finger on who I had been there with, was it Aunt Wanda/Uncle Steve and old boyfriend, who? Talking to Aunt Wanda, I figured out that it was with them that I went once for her birthday dinner. Anyway...it was so good all the same and I am glad Gregg picked it because the food was delish. More on that later.
We started with some starters but I forgot to take a picture of those. We had calamari and a Shrimp bisque. The bisque was TERRIBLE. It was the worst soup I have ever eaten. ever. The calamari was delightful. I also ordered a peach mojito, which went down quite smoothly.
Our dinners. I had a Smoked Chatham Strait Sablefish with corn custard, zucchinni and a tomato fondue. It was heavenly (picture on the left). Gregg had their special, it was an Albacore Tuna seared with jasmine rice and an avacado cilantro sauce with some veggies. He called it fish tacos without the tortilla. We were both pleased with our meals. Mine was very rich and a heavy meal but I still managed to eat every bite.

Then, on to dessert. Dessert was YUMMY! We ordered a Milky Way Creme Brulee and then a chocolate cake with with a berry compote. The berry compote had some anise in it, so it tasted like fruity licorice. I know, your thinking, YUCK, but really it was GOOD. You wouldn't think those 2 things would be good together but they were.

Our view. It was really nice.
Then after dinner, we decided to go take a walk and look at the boats at the Ballard Locks. This is one of Gregg's favorite things to do. There were alot of flowers out and a few fish in the run, not too many boats, we figured Monday would be the busy day this weekend. We enjoyed walking around, holding hands and talking. It was fun.



Oh, and of course, Gregg got a flattened penny to cap of the night.

3 comments:

Jody said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great birthday dinner! Happy Birthday! I hope you have a great birthday on the actual day, today!

Nan Sargeant , blog editor said...

I love those pictures. The one of you and Gregg is especially nice; really captures you two as a great couple. I think Todd and I need a night out like that!